1. Contact the FAA Office in your area or the FAA Office for South Florida 954-641 6000 and request an appointment with an FAA Inspector to obtain your IA. Please see below for FAA FAR 65.91 requirements. For the FAA interview you will need Form 8610-1, your FAA A&P and a government picture ID (driver's license, military ID or passport). The FAA sign off is valid for 30 days.
2. Register for the IA Class on AMT School's web site. The FAA sign off is NOT required to attend the course. The FAA sign off is required to take the FAA IA Exam at AMT School. 3. Study the online preparation program mailed to you by AMT School. Study the materials and documents that are on the attachment mailed to you by AMT School.
3. Attend the IA Week-End Course.
4. Successfully pass the FAA IA Exam. AMT School is an FAA Approved Testing Center.
Per FAR 65.91 to be eligible for an Inspection Authorization rating the following is required:
1. The applicant must hold his A&P ratings for a three (3) year period prior to applying for the rating.
2. The applicant must have been actively engaged for the two (2) year period prior to applying for the IA.
3. The applicant must have a fixed base of operation at which he or she may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he or she will exercise the Inspection Authorization.
4. The applicant must have available to him or her the equipment, facilities and inspection data required to perform his or her job as an IA.
5. The applicant must pass a written test on his or her ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning the aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under FAR part 43.
6. An applicant who fails the IA test may not apply for retesting until at least 90 days after the date he or she failed the test.